Are you finding WordPress tutorial on how to add navigation in the WordPress Theme? See below…
In this article, we will discuss how we can Add navigation (Menu) in WordPress. They are the basic link structure of your website. It may contain links to pages, categories, custom links or to some another website. Every theme comes with at least one spot to display your navigation items. The position is defined by the theme. You can easily create a custom menu. They are a list of common links that are usually displayed as the main navigation for your site. You can add one or more custom menus depending on the theme & some theme offers additional menus such as social links. Mainly they are displayed in the header. So here we will show how you can add a navigation to your theme.
How to add navigation in WordPress theme
Following are the steps to Add Navigation in WordPress:
- 1. Log in to your dashboard and hover on Appearance option given in the left sidebar and then click on Menus option.
- 2. You will see a new window and here you can see a default menu. See below screenshot:
- 3. To create a new one click on Create a New Menu option.
- 4. Give a name and then click on Create Menu button given on the right side of the page.
- 5. A new window will appear and you can see your pages are displayed in the left corner. To know how to Add Pages in WordPress, read our previous article.
- 6. To add an existing page to the menu just select the page and click on Add to Menu option.
- 7. You can change the location of your navigation as provided by the theme. Click on Primary Menu option. This option will depend on the theme. The theme I am using has this option but it may be varied according to the theme you are using.
- 8. Finally, click on Save Menu button given on the right side of the page to save the changes. To see the changes visit your website front end and you will see your navigation will be visible on the page.
You can add custom links to your navigation
Following are the steps to add custom links to menu:
- 1. Click on Custom Links option and enter the URL you want to add. Then give a name to your custom link by clicking on Link Text field.
- 2. Then click on Add To Menu option to add your custom link to the navigation.
You can add Posts to your menu
Following are the steps to add posts to menu:
- 1. Click on Posts option and select the post you want to add.
- 2. Then click on Add To Menu option to add your custom link to the menu.
You can also check how to Add Posts in WordPress.
You can also add Categories to your menu
You can also add categories in the menu by the same procedure as explained above.
To know how to Add Category in WordPress read our previous article.