Are you looking for a tutorial on how to install WordPress theme in the admin panel? In the previous article, we discussed how to install WordPress on the server. If you notice when we install WordPress then some default themes automatically come with the package like Twenty Fifteen, Twenty Sixteen, Twenty Sixteen. These are basic themes which are free themes.
Now in some cases, we have to install other premium or free themes, then you must know how to install the theme. There are many ways to install theme,
- Install Theme with admin dashboard
- Install Theme manually
- Manually Theme installation by FTP
We can install the theme by the steps given below:
1. Install Theme by WordPress dashboard.
- First thing you have to do is you have to login to your dashboard. Next find the Appearance option given in the left sidebar & click on themes option.
- You will see a new window then find the Add New button option & click on it.
- You will see a new window. Here you see some themes & when you hover over any theme you will see an install button. You can also search a theme by entering any theme name in the search field given at the right-top corner.
- Now you can install the theme simply by clicking on install button. See above screenshot. It will take few seconds to install & after installing you will see a activate button on the theme. Just click on the activate button and your newly installed will be activated. You can visit your website URL to see the changes.
2. Install WordPress theme manually
- In your WordPress admin panel, go to Appearance > Themes > Add New. Then click on upload theme button in the top left corner.
- When you click on upload theme button you will see a browse button. Just click on it & select the zip package of the theme you downloaded. Then click on install button and it will take few seconds to install and then click on activate the option.
3. Install theme manually by FTP or Cpanel
- You can also install the theme manually by using FTP. Simply extract your theme package and upload to the www.doaminname.com/wp-content/themes folder.
- When your files uploaded in the theme folder then go to Appearance > Themes and your newly uploaded theme will be displayed. Then just hover over that theme and click on install button and then activate it.