FTP is known as file transfer protocol used for transferring files from one computer to another or from computer to server using the internet. FTP uses the Internet’s TCP/IP protocols to enable data transfer. Sometimes there is a need to upload your files to the server so that it can be easily and continuously used by various resources. In such case, we use FTP client to transfer or exchange files. It is basically a software that is installed on your computer and uses internet protocol to transfer files.
There are many protocols that used over the internet for different purposes like POP, IMAP, XMPP. All these protocols make up the internet. FTP is also one of the protocols which are used to transfer files from one location to another. You can also share files remotely over the internet. This FTP software or server allows you to upload as well as download small and large files easily and conveniently.
Not every internet use FTP but if you are building a website, then FTP can be an essential tool for you. This is also a great way to share the same resources with a number of peoples with greater security. It is a hierarchical folder structure, which you can explore in a similar fashion to Windows Explorer.
Many Web hosting providers give the user access to FTP so that they can easily transfer files using their control panel. There are a number of software available that runs on your system and allows to transfer files. FileZilla is one of the most widely used FTP clients.
How to Use FTP?
You can use any of the FTP software. The operation is quite similar to each software. We are using Filezilla and we will show how we can use Filezilla.
- Step 1: Download the FileZilla software on your computer and open it. It will look like the below screenshot:
- Step 2: Fill your FTP details and click on Quickconnect button.
- Step 3: All your directories open there. To upload a file simply go to the location where you want to upload the file and drag the file or folder there.
- Step 4: To download a file or folder right click on it and click on Download option.
- Step 5: In the same fashion, you can delete, rename, set permissions to the files and folders.
We hope you will like the article and this article will help you. If you have any queries you can ask in the comment box.
You can also check how we can How to install WordPress locally on PC/Windows using XAMPP.