In this lesson, we will learn how to install WordPress on a local machine? Every WordPress user wants to install WordPress locally on their system. Having WordPress install on your system helps you in many ways. You can use it for testing and learn WordPress development. You don’t need to create any website on the internet. So you can try different WordPress themes, plugins, test their features, learn basic as well as advanced levels of WordPress. A local website will be visible only on your computer so you don’t need any domain and host for your local website and that’s the best advantage of installing WordPress locally on your system. In this article, we will discuss how we can install WordPress locally on PC/local machine using XAMPP.
What is XAMPP Server?
WordPress requires your system should have a web server (such as Apache, LiteSpeed, or IIS), PHP 4.3 or greater, and MySQL 4.0 or greater.PHP is the programming language and MySQL is a database management software. Both of them are required for WordPress. Installing each of this software is little difficult and also difficult to manage. So here XAMPP comes in action. XAMPP is a free web-server environment which contains all above elements. XAMPP is the most common localhost application used by the developers. So XAMPP allows you install WordPress locally on your Windows-based system. It can be also installed on Linux or OSX based system but we will discuss only windows based XAMPP.
Install WordPress on windows by using Xampp
- The first thing you have to install XAMPP on your system. To download the XAMPP, visit XAMPP website and click on Download button.
- Once you download the XAMPP, run the .exe file and it will take few seconds to install the XAMPP.
- Start XAMPP control panel and run Apache and MySQL module by clicking on the Start button.
- Minimize the window. Visit the WordPress.org website and click on the Download WordPress button.
- Extract the .zip file and you will see a wordpress-4.8.2 folder. Rename it to website1 so that you can easily identify and copy the folder.
- Next, locate your XAMPP installation folder. In windows, it will be C:/Program Files/XAMPP or C:\Xampp.
- Then open XAMPP folder and locate htdocs folder.
- Paste the website1 folder which you copied earlier, here.
- Open any browser and visit localhost/ website1. You will see a page like this. Click on wordpress/ folder.
- Select a language and click on Continue button.
- You will see a page like below shown.
- It’s time to create a database. Visit localhost/phpmyadmin in your browser and it will open a window like this:
- Click on New button given on left sidebar and then give a name to your database and click on Create button.
- Switch back to /localhost/website1/ browser tab and click on the Let’s Go button. You will be prompted to a new window.
- Enter the database name which you created earlier. Your username will be root and you should leave the password field blank and then click on Submit button.
- A new page opens and clicks on Run the install button.
- Enter the given fields and click on Install WordPress button.
- After installation, you will be prompted to Login screen. Enter the Username and Password you created earlier and click on Login button.
Congratulations! your WordPress successfully installed on your system.
You can check how to install WordPress Manually.
You can also check How to install WordPress on the server by using Softaculous script.